Visiting the dentist is usually quite an exciting process, especially for people who have dental phobia. It requires not only physical but also psychological preparation. We want to ease your worries associated with the initial visit to the dentist.
Therefore, we analyzed several fundamental issues related to this topic. Before that, you should look for a dental clinic with the right facility and environment for a relaxed session. Peak Family Dental Care is the perfect option if you are looking for a dentist in Flagstaff, Arizona.
To make your visit as comfortable and efficient as possible, you should follow a few simple rules:
- Do not drink alcohol. Remember not to drink alcoholic beverages before visiting the dentist. The reason is not only to show respect for your doctor but also because alcohol in the blood reduces the effectiveness of pain medications. It is recommended to refrain from drinking alcohol 4 days before visiting the dentist.
- Don’t skip meals. Before the upcoming treatment, you should have a tight snack because it is contraindicated to eat for 1-2 hours after the procedures. Also, hunger increases the likelihood of fainting if you are very worried, and the introduction of an anesthetic can further increase dizziness.
- Warn of an increased gag reflex. Tell your doctor if you experience this In this case, it is recommended not to eat 2 hours before the appointment with the dentist. It is possible to use antiemetic drugs in consultation with the doctor.
- Schedule things ahead of time. If anesthesia is used during the treatment, it won’t be easy to talk for the next few hours. Plan your day with this in mind and choose the most convenient date and time for your visit.
- Brush your teeth. Be sure to brush your teeth before visiting the dentist. Thus, it will be more convenient and pleasant for the doctor to work.
What to bring with you?
For the initial appointment with a new specialist, take all the necessary documents with you. If you have seen other dentists before, take all x-rays, diagnostic models, extracts, and medical reports.
Don’t forget to take your medications if you have any chronic illnesses that may show up during your doctor’s appointment. There is also a first aid kit in the office, and you will always receive the necessary medical assistance, but it is better to have the necessary medicines immediately with you.
Just in case, you should take a pack of disposable tissues or a handkerchief. In the clinic, of course, they are available, but you may need them even after an appointment with the dentist.
How is the initial appointment?
If this is your first appointment with this specialist, then at first, you will be asked several standard questions about previous diseases and how you feel at the moment. Be sure to mention chronic illnesses, drug allergies, or individual reactions to them.
This is necessary so that the doctor can select the appropriate anesthetics and medications that may be needed during treatment. Be sure to tell us about the medications you are currently taking. Some of your medications may not react well with other substances and may cause an adverse reaction in the body.
In women, the doctor must clarify the presence of pregnancy and breastfeeding. This is necessary for the competent selection of drugs and comfortable treatment.
Before visiting the dentist, you can prepare the questions that interest you in advance. It is better to ask them after the examination, as the doctor will be aware of the condition of your teeth and gums and will be able to give a more accurate answer. You can contact him not only for questions relating to treatment. Feel free to ask about oral hygiene or good gum care rules.