With the everyday growing use and impact of social media, it becomes very important what impression we are leaving there of us. Starting from basic occasions like birthdays to friendship days to what not, all days are festive on screen. Not to mention the spree of uploading photos and other visuals or whatsoever it is, that we all have stepped in. With greater involvement, comes bigger responsibilities– you upload a cute photo, you get complimented, you’ve to take time out to thank people. However, it doesn’t necessarily have to be the monotonous thank-you-welcome combination all the time. Here are 9 ways to leave a message for the compliments that pour out on your New Year photograph without sounding like a broken record.
- Accept the compliment
- Show your gratitude
- If the compliments come from a mentor, let them know that you’re grateful
- If it comes from an unexpected person, tell them that you’re surprised
- Tell them about a detail
- Make them feel important by asking them a question
- Reflect your happiness through your words
- Spread the love that you receive
- Nonetheless the usual polite way and nothing else
Accept the compliment
More often than not we’re seen putting ourselves down when we’re given a compliment in real life or on social media. Negative words or exclamations might be rude and of course, a wrong way to respond to a compliment. Make sure that you have accepted a compliment before you reply to it.
Show your gratitude
Show your gratitude towards the person for the compliment. Be as humble as you can.
While deciding on how to reply to a compliment as obvious the feeling of gratitude is, make sure that you make this feeling prominent in your message as well.
If the compliments come from a mentor, let them know that you’re grateful
There can be nothing better than an acknowledgement or a compliment coming from the hands that taught you. To know that your mentor is aware of your achievements and is proud is one of the greatest gifts one can get.
If you’re complimented by a teacher, let them know that they’ve had an important role to play in your growth. A million thank-yous would fall short for thanking a teacher but don’t leave it unsaid, nonetheless.
If it comes from an unexpected person, tell them that you’re surprised
A lot of times we also are confronted with a compliment from someone very unexpected. However, if the person has taken a step forward towards the bettering of things, you should take one too.
This unexpected person needs to know that you’re surprised, that you were not expecting it. While focusing on this part, also make sure that you are not impolite even the least.
Tell them about a detail
You can express your gratitude for the compliment received even more by telling the person a detail about the matter. Be it a profile picture or anything else that you’re being complimented for, giving out a detail would hardly require any extra time but would definitely win you the hearts.
You can tell them about a funny incident that happened during the time that the photograph was clicked or something similar.
Make them feel important by asking them a question
This way you will not only thank the person heartily but also strike a conversation. Starting a conversation is best done by asking them a question. A conversation becomes a two-way thing and is best if the compliment giver is a close friend or relative. Your thank-you will definitely be more acknowledged this way.
Reflect your happiness through your words
It does not matter how small a thing you’re being complimented for– if you have put it out on the internet, it has ought to be important.
Make sure that your words of gratitude express the happiness that you feel. The way to respond to a compliment says a lot about you and plays a key role in what impression people have of you. So, make sure that you reflect nothing but happiness in return for a compliment.
Spread the love that you receive
The love you give is the love you get. And there can be nothing better than a compliment in return for a compliment.
In these times of competition and digitalization, we barely have any time to interact with people face-to-face. So, when someone comes forward to compliment you on a picture, something that you painted or be whatsoever– make sure that you have made them feel good about themselves too.
Nonetheless the usual polite way and nothing else
Now, comes the general way to thank someone– the basic “Thank you!”. This is never getting old, not anytime soon.
If it is someone you don’t know very well or someone from your professional circle or maybe you’re just running short on time, this has got your back. Something is always better than nothing. You might not necessarily have the energy or will to write a long and well structured after a long day but you need to respond to a compliment– “Thank you!” and done.
Recommended for you:
How to Say Thank You to Someone for a Compliment
A list of few effortless thank you messages that you could use to respond to a compliment on Facebook
- “Thank you for guiding me through the tough times, for inspiring me for being my pillar” can be great if the compliments come from a teacher.
- Obvious exclamations like, “I’m humbled by your words.” can be said instead of the general “Thank you!”.
- Or “I’m filled with gratitude for your kind words.” can do the job.
- One can come up with more accepting responses like, “I’m glad.” or “Oh! You liked it.”
- You can always compliment a person you know and even if you don’t, you can just send out the warmth with basic texts ending with “love and hugs” or emoticons.
- Positive exclamations like, “Gosh! I’m flattered.” or “You make me blush.” is all one needs to do the work.
- If you’re asking a question, it need not be anything about the well being of the person but something as light as “Don’t you have a similar handbag too?” and let it go with the flow.
- You could also come up with expressions like, “Really? I can’t believe, it is coming from you.” and end it on subtle terms with a “Thank you so much!”.
Recommended posts for you:
Why Saying Thank You is Important and How To Do It
With all the various ways to thank someone, you must also remember that you’re one of your kind and that nothing can be truer than this. And on social media, it becomes much more important to be positive about the compliments that you receive. These are the same memories which will appear on your wall, year after year. And you would not want to leave something negative on it to witness every year.
So, when encountered with a compliment– take it and own it. You’re worth it all.